Kippi Leonards vibrant aqueous surfaces are the results pouring inks that have been custom mixed onto canvas, panel and linen. The pouring process is her way of largely abandoning compositional control and remaining open to spontaneous occurrences with her work. Through color, luminosity and light reflection, her work provokes calm and simultaneously, deep introspection. Inversely, her mixed media work is structural and largely black and white with expressive mark making and an occasional allusion of color. Both methods of creating reflect her veracious essence.
Kippi looks to the work of Helen Frankenthaler and Mao Lizi for their looseness with pouring paint and use of color to form complex layers that while poured, reflect intention. She also responds to the structure and sensitivity found in the work of Francoise Gilot.
After an extensive career in interior design Kippi continues the exploration of materials through her experimental and abstract work in encaustic, collage and watercolor.
A PNW native, she now resides in Palm Desert California a place that nurtures her comprehensive approach to creating art.
2019-Michael Birawer Gallery, Seattle Wa- Solo Artist Show August 2019
2018 - Michael Birawer Gallery, Seattle Wa - Solo Artist Show October 2018
- Alexis Hotel, Seattle Wa -Lobby Exhibit October / November / December 2018 - Traumhaus Gallery, Snohomish Wa- Arts Bestowed exhibit December 2018
- Bemis Spring Art Show - Seattle, Wa - Juried artist
- Northwind Art Center Juried Art Show - Port Townsend, Wa
- Kenmore Art Show -Juried Artist 2018 - Kenmore, Wa
- The Schack 21st Annual Juried Art Show 2018-Honorable Mention - Everett, WA -Seattle City Hall August 2018 Fogue Gallery Group exhibit - Seattle, Wa
-2017- Waxology-Artist of the month August
-West Elm Local
-H’Arts Auction -Schack Art Center
-Fresh Paint, Everett Wa. Juried artist